I’m hanging out in the Seattle airport and the flight has been delayed for over an hour. Additionally, I am able to hijack wi-fi from the Presidents Club as SEA-TAC is under control of the evil AT&T empire, charging non-members for wi-fi.
The Baseball Caucus at SLA 2008 proved a great way to end the session. Speaking at the event were the authors of It Takes More Than Balls: The Savvy Girls’ Guide to Understanding and Enjoying Baseball and Dave Henderson former MLB player and World Series Champ. A few takeaways on the book:
- Overall, women/girls do not play baseball, not growing up to understand the rules and positions, women eventually learn of the game for different reasons: husband/ or boyfriend, interest in a pro-player, socialize, etc.
- Books content is baseball but within female voice and interest
- Didn’t want a dummies book, but a developed quick-read
- Edited out the part trash talking relief pitchers as being second-rate and the part praising Bill Buckner (not for ball-under-legs-incident but for being a good player)
- A considered title: “Is that a can of pine tar in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?”
The takeaways from Dave Henderson are extensive! A blog to follow on that shortly.